⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for Comments on CF Swath and CF2-Group Proposals

From: Randy Horne <rhorne>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 12:41:27 -0400

Folks:

I have a very general comment on CF Swath related to geolocating pixels in a swath.

Level 1/2 product generation systems that output remotely sensed swath data from polar orbiting systems often have a concern/requirements related to keeping the volume of data to a minimum.

If I am reading the CF swath proposal correctly, it would seem there is an assumption that lat/lon coordinates for each pixel is required to be CF compliant. This adds significantly to the size of a NetCDF-CF product file containing swath data.

Has there been any thought to define some type of a polar orbiting satellite projection that includes requisite time, orbital, and sensing map parameters in addition to explicit lat/lon values in the product file ?

Note that this question is not just limited to swath data coming from polar orbiting satellites.

v/r

randy