⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] PMIP (including 1 or more that originated in C4MIP) Standard Names: Carbon and Nitrogen terms

From: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamment>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 09:53:12 +0000

Dear Martin and Jonathan,

Thank you for proposing these new carbon and nitrogen standard names for PMIP and for the discussion. I think these proposals are looking good and I have accepted many of them. I do have one question that relates to proposals 6-11 regarding 13C_dioxide and 14C_dioxide. If we can resolve that, then they too could be accepted. There is also a question regarding proposal 18. Please see below for my comments on the individual names.

1. CMIP short name cLand. (Total Carbon in All Terrestrial Carbon Pools)
mass_content_of_carbon_in_vegetation_and_litter_and_soil_and_forestry_and_agricultural_products (kg m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. "Vegetation" means any living plants e.g. trees, shrubs, grass. "Litter" is dead plant material in or above the soil. It is distinct from coarse wood debris. The precise distinction between "fine" and "coarse" is model dependent. The "soil content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface down to the bottom of the soil model. For the content between specified levels in the soil, standard names including "content_of_soil_layer" are used. Examples of "forestry and agricultural products" are paper, cardboard, furniture, timber for construction, biofuels and food for both humans and livestock. Models that simulate land use changes have one or more pools of carbon that represent these products in order to conserve carbon and allow its eventual release into the atmosphere, for example, when the products decompose in landfill sites.'

As you say, this is very similar to 13C and 14C names already introduced for C4MIP. The name and units are fine and I have constructed the definition from all our usual bits of text. This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

2. CMIP short name cLand. c13Soil
Follow the pattern established by litter_mass_content_of_13C

soil_mass_content_of_13C (kg m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "soil content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface down to the bottom of the soil model. For the content between specified levels in the soil, standard names including "content_of_soil_layer" are used. "C" means the element carbon and "13C" is the stable isotope "carbon-13", having six protons and seven neutrons.'

As you say, this is very similar to an existing name. The name, units and definition are fine. This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

3. CMIP short name c14Soil.
As for c13Soil

soil_mass_content_of_14C (kg m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "soil content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface down to the bottom of the soil model. For the content between specified levels in the soil, standard names including "content_of_soil_layer" are used. "C" means the element carbon and "14C" is the radioactive isotope "carbon-14", having six protons and eight neutrons and used in radiocarbon dating.'

This is very similar to an existing name. The name, units and definition are fine. This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

4. CMIP6 short name gppc13.
As for gross_primary_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon, but for carbon13

gross_primary_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_13C (kg m-2 s-1)
"Production of carbon" means the production of biomass expressed as the mass of carbon which it contains. Gross primary production is the rate of synthesis of biomass from inorganic precursors by autotrophs ("producers"), for example, photosynthesis in plants or phytoplankton. The producers also respire some of this biomass and the difference is "net_primary_production". "Productivity" means production per unit area. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. "C" means the element carbon and "13C" is the stable isotope "carbon-13", having six protons and seven neutrons.

This name has been the subject of discussion - Jonathan has queried the meaning of 'biomass_expressed_as_13C' and Martin has explained that it means the mass of Carbon-13 atoms within the biomass. This is the way I understood the name myself, and I think this usage is consistent with the definition of 'expressed_as'. I think we have now agreed to keep the name as originally proposed by Martin, so it is accepted and will be added in the May update.

5. CMIP6 short name gppc14.
As (4), but for carbon14

gross_primary_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_14C (kg m-2 s-1)
"Production of carbon" means the production of biomass expressed as the mass of carbon which it contains. Gross primary production is the rate of synthesis of biomass from inorganic precursors by autotrophs ("producers"), for example, photosynthesis in plants or phytoplankton. The producers also respire some of this biomass and the difference is "net_primary_production". "Productivity" means production per unit area. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. "C" means the element carbon and "14C" is the stable isotope "carbon-13", having six protons and seven neutrons.

This name was discussed alongside proposal 4 and again I think we have now agreed to keep it in the form that was originally proposed. This name is accepted and will be added in the May update.

6. CMIP6 short name netAtmosLandC13Flux.
Follows from existing name surface_net_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_all_land_processes
surface_net_downward_mass_flux_of_13C_dioxide_expressed_as_13C_due_to_all_land_processes (kg m-2 s-1) I.e. the mass of 13C in the downward CO2 flux.
'The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Downward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed downward (negative upward). Net downward radiation is the difference between radiation from above (downwelling) and radiation from below (upwelling). In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. The chemical formula for carbon dioxide is CO2. "C" means the element carbon and "13C" is the stable isotope "carbon-13", having six protons and seven neutrons. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the
general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "All land processes" means plant and soil respiration, photosynthesis, animal grazing, crop harvesting, natural fires and anthropogenic land use change. "Anthropogenic land use change" means human changes to land, excluding forest regrowth. It includes fires ignited by humans for the purpose of land use change and the processes of eventual disposal and decomposition of wood products such as paper, cardboard, furniture and timber for construction.'

I have constructed a definition based on existing text. We do have an existing name surface_downward_mass_flux_of_13C_dioxide_abiotic_analogue_expressed_as_13C and the syntax of the proposal is consistent with that one. For proposals 4 and 5 the discussion established that the names indicate the mass of Carbon-13/14 within the total amount of biomass being produced, and I think those are fine. For this name, we have 13C_dioxide_expressed_as_13C, which I would understand to mean the mass of 13C in only the carbon dioxide that contains 13C. Although I understand what it means, I do find 13C_dioxide slightly strange as a species name. It occurs to me that we could write the name as surface_net_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_13C_due_to_all_land_processes, i.e., referring to the chemical species in the more usual way, because surely the mass of 13C in all carbon dioxide is the same as the mass of 13C in just the portion of carbon_dioxide that contains 13C! I think that syntax would also be cons
istent with proposals 3 and 4. Is there a strong reason for preferring 13C_dioxide over carbon_dioxide? Is 13C_dioxide actually stored as a separate species in the models or is there just one carbon dioxide flux, some of which contains 13C, some 14C, etc? If they really are separate fluxes then I would feel 13C_dioxide does make more sense in the name.

This name is still under discussion.

7. CMIP6 short name netAtmosLandC14Flux.
As (6), but for 14C

surface_net_downward_mass_flux_of_14C_dioxide_expressed_as_14C_due_to_all_land_processes (kg m-2 s-1)
'The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Downward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed downward (negative upward). Net downward radiation is the difference between radiation from above (downwelling) and radiation from below (upwelling). In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. The chemical formula for carbon dioxide is CO2. "C" means the element carbon and "14C" is the radioactive isotope "carbon-14", having six protons and eight neutrons and used in radiocarbon dating. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum
of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "All land processes" means plant and soil respiration, photosynthesis, animal grazing, crop harvesting, natural fires and anthropogenic land use change. "Anthropogenic land use change" means human changes to land, excluding forest regrowth. It includes fires ignited by humans for the purpose of land use change and the processes of eventual disposal and decomposition of wood products such as paper, cardboard, furniture and timber for construction.'

I have constructed the definition from existing text. My question about proposal 6 also pertains to this name. This name is still under discussion.

8. CMIP6 short name rac13. Mass Flux of 13C into Atmosphere due to Autotrophic (Plant) Respiration on Land.
As surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon_due_to_plant_respiration, but for 13C

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_13C_dioxide_expressed_as_13C_due_to_plant_respiration (kg m-2 s-1)
'The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Upward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed upward (negative downward). In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. The chemical formula for carbon dioxide is CO2. "C" means the element carbon and "13C" is the stable isotope "carbon-13", having six protons and seven neutrons. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. Plant respiration is the sum of respiration by parts of plants both above and
 below the soil. It is assumed that all the respired carbon dioxide is emitted to the atmosphere. The term "plants" refers to the kingdom of plants in the modern classification which excludes fungi. Plants are autotrophs i.e. "producers" of biomass using carbon obtained from carbon dioxide.'

I have constructed the definition from existing text. My question about proposal 6 also pertains to this name. This name is still under discussion.

9. CMIP6 short name rac14. Mass Flux of 14C into Atmosphere due to Autotrophic (Plant) Respiration on Land

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_14C_dioxide_expressed_as_14C_due_to_plant_respiration (kg m-2 s-1)
'The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Upward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed upward (negative downward). In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. The chemical formula for carbon dioxide is CO2. "C" means the element carbon and "14C" is the radioactive isotope "carbon-14", having six protons and eight neutrons and used in radiocarbon dating. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. Plant respiration is the sum of respirati
on by parts of plants both above and below the soil. It is assumed that all the respired carbon dioxide is emitted to the atmosphere. The term "plants" refers to the kingdom of plants in the modern classification which excludes fungi. Plants are autotrophs i.e. "producers" of biomass using carbon obtained from carbon dioxide.'

I have constructed the definition from existing text. My question about proposal 6 also pertains to this name. This name is still under discussion.

10. CMIP6 short name rhc13. Mass Flux of 13C into Atmosphere due to Heterotrophic Respiration on Land

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_13C_dioxide_expressed_as_13C_due_to_heterotrophic_respiration (kg m-2 s-1)
'The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Upward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed upward (negative downward). In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. The chemical formula for carbon dioxide is CO2. "C" means the element carbon and "13C" is the stable isotope "carbon-13", having six protons and seven neutrons. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. Heterotrophic respiration is respiration by heterotrophs ("consumers"), which
 are organisms (including animals and decomposers) that consume other organisms or dead organic material, rather than synthesising organic material from inorganic precursors using energy from the environment (especially sunlight) as autotrophs ("producers") do. Heterotrophic respiration goes on within both the soil and litter pools.'

I have constructed the definition from existing text. My question about proposal 6 also pertains to this name. This name is still under discussion.

11. CMIP6 short name rhc14 : Mass Flux of 14C into Atmosphere due to Heterotrophic Respiration on Land

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_14C_dioxide_expressed_as_14C_due_to_heterotrophic_respiration (kg m-2 s-1)
'The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Upward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed upward (negative downward). In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. The chemical formula for carbon dioxide is CO2. "C" means the element carbon and "14C" is the radioactive isotope "carbon-14", having six protons and eight neutrons and used in radiocarbon dating. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. Heterotrophic respiration is respiration
by heterotrophs ("consumers"), which are organisms (including animals and decomposers) that consume other organisms or dead organic material, rather than synthesising organic material from inorganic precursors using energy from the environment (especially sunlight) as autotrophs ("producers") do. Heterotrophic respiration goes on within both the soil and litter pools.'

I have constructed the definition from existing text. My question about proposal 6 also pertains to this name. This name is still under discussion.

12. CMIP6 short name nLand. Total nitrogen in all terrestrial nitrogen pools
Cf. c13Land

mass_content_of_nitrogen_in_vegetation_and_litter_and_soil_and_forestry_and_agricultural_products (kg m-2)
[...]

I have constructed the definition from existing text. This is very similar to the existing names mass_content_of_13|14C_in_vegetation_and_litter_and_soil_and_forestry_and_agricultural_products. The name, units and definition are fine. This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

13. CMIP6 short name nLitter. Nitrogen Mass in Litter Pool
Cf. c13Litter

litter_mass_content_of_nitrogen (kg m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. "Litter" is dead plant material in or above the soil. It is distinct from coarse wood debris. The precise distinction between "fine" and "coarse" is model dependent. The sum of the quantities with standard names wood_debris_mass_content_of_nitrogen, surface_litter_mass_content_of_nitrogen and subsurface_litter_mass_content_of_nitrogen is the quantity with standard name litter_mass_content_of_carbon.'

I have constructed the definition from existing text. This is very similar to existing names. The name, units and definition are fine. This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

14. CMIP6 short name nProduct. Nitrogen Mass in Products of Land Use Change
based on carbon_content_of_forestry_and_agricultural_products

nitrogen_content_of_forestry_and_agricultural_products (kg m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. Examples of "forestry and agricultural products" are paper, cardboard, furniture, timber for construction, biofuels and food for both humans and livestock. Models that simulate land use changes have one or more pools of carbon that represent these products in order to conserve carbon and allow its eventual release into the atmosphere, for example, when the products decompose in landfill sites.'

I have constructed the definition from existing text. This is very similar to existing names. The name, units and definition are fine. This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

15. CMIP6 short name nSoil. Nitrogen Mass in Soil Pool
Based on "soil_carbon_content":

soil_nitrogen_content (kg m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "soil content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface down to the bottom of the soil model. For the content between specified levels in the soil, standard names including "content_of_soil_layer" are used.'

I have constructed the definition from existing text. This is very similar to existing names. The name, units and definition are fine. This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

(16) CMIP6 short name nVeg. Nitrogen Mass in Vegetation
Based on "vegetation_mass_content_of_13C":

vegetation_mass_content_of_nitrogen (kg m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. "Vegetation" means any living plants e.g. trees, shrubs, grass. The term "plants" refers to the kingdom of plants in the modern classification which excludes fungi. Plants are autotrophs i.e. "producers" of biomass using carbon obtained from carbon dioxide.'

I have constructed the definition from existing text. This is very similar to existing names. The name, units and definition are fine. This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

(17) CMIP6 short name fN2O. Total land N2O flux
Follow fNOx being handled in C4MIP:

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_nitrous_oxide_expressed_as_nitrogen_out_of_vegetation_and_litter_and_soil (kg m-2 s-1)
'The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Upward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed upward (negative downward). In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. The chemical formula for nitrous oxide is N2O. "Vegetation" means any living plants e.g. trees, shrubs, grass. The term "plants" refers to the kingdom of plants in the modern classification which excludes fungi. Plants are autotrophs i.e. "producers" of biomass using carbon obtained from carbon dioxide. "Litter" is dead plant material in or above the soil. It is distinct from coarse wood debris. The precise distinction between "fine" and "coarse
" is model dependent.'

I have constructed the definition from existing text. This is very similar to existing names. The name, units and definition are fine. This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

18. CMIP6 short name fNgas : Total Nitrogen lost to the atmosphere (sum of NHx, NOx, N2O, N2)

surface_upward_mass_flux_of_nitrogen (kg m-2 s-1)
"Upward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed upward (negative downward). In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. Nitrogen" summarizes all chemical species containing nitrogen atoms. The standard name surface_downward_mole_flux_of_carbon_dioxide should be used to label data in which the flux is positive when directed downward."

For consistency with the names we have just introduced for C4MIP I think this one should be surface_upward_mass_flux_of_nitrogen_compounds_expressed_as_nitrogen. I'm also a bit confused by the last sentence of the proposed definition which talks about carbon_dioxide - I'm guessing it was copied and pasted by accident. For the name I'm suggesting the definition would be:
'The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Upward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed upward (negative downward). In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. he phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. "Nitrogen compounds" summarizes all chemical species containing nitrogen atoms. The list of individual species that are included in this quantity can vary between models. Where possible, the data variable should be accompanied by a complete description of the species represented, for example, by using a comment attribute.'

Okay?

19. CMIP6 short name fNleach, Total N loss to leaching or runoff (sum of ammonium, nitrite and nitrate)
As for C4MIP fNloss, but "due_to_leaching_and_runoff", as for existing name mass_flux_of_carbon_out_of_soil_due_to_leaching_and_runoff

mass_flux_of_nitrogen_compounds_expressed_as_nitrogen_out_of_vegetation_and_litter_and_soil_due_to_leaching_and_runoff (kg m-2 s-1)
'In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. "Nitrogen compounds" summarizes all chemical species containing nitrogen atoms. "Vegetation" means any living plants e.g. trees, shrubs, grass. The term "plants" refers to the kingdom of plants in the modern classification which excludes fungi. Plants are autotrophs i.e. "producers" of biomass using carbon obtained from carbon dioxide. "Litter" is dead plant material in or above the soil. It is distinct from coarse wood debris. The precise distinction between "fine" and "coarse" is model dependent. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single te
rm in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "Leaching" means the loss of water soluble chemical species from soil. Runoff is the liquid water which drains from land. If not specified, "runoff" refers to the sum of surface runoff and subsurface drainage.'

I have constructed the definition from existing text. This is very similar to existing names. The name, units and definition are fine. This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

20. CMIP6 short name fNnetmin. Net nitrogen release from soil and litter as the outcome of nitrogen immobilisation and gross mineralisation

There is an existing reference to "remineralization" in the CF list, with the interpretation "Remineralization is the degradation of organic matter into inorganic forms of carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus and other micronutrients, which consumes oxygen and releases energy."

There is no previous reference to "immobilisation": we propose the following help text to explain the term: "Immobilisation of nitrogen refers to retention of nitrogen by micro-organisms under certain conditions, making it unavailable for plants."

mass_flux_of_nitrogen_compounds_expressed_as_nitrogen_out_of_litter_and_soil_due_to_immobilisation_and_remineralization (kg m-2 s-1)
'In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. "Nitrogen compounds" summarizes all chemical species containing nitrogen atoms. "Litter" is dead plant material in or above the soil. It is distinct from coarse wood debris. The precise distinction between "fine" and "coarse" is model dependent. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. Remineralization is the degradation of organic matter into inorganic forms of carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus and other micronutrients, which consumes oxygen and rele
ases energy. Immobilisation of nitrogen refers to retention of nitrogen by micro-organisms under certain conditions, making it unavailable for plants.'

Thank you for providing a definition for 'immobilisation'. I have constructed the rest of the definition from existing text. This is very similar to existing names. The name, units and definition are fine. This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

(21) fNup : total plant nitrogen uptake (sum of ammonium and nitrate), irrespective of the source of nitrogen [kg m-2 s-1]
Similar to tendency_of_soil_and_vegetation_mass_content_of_nitrogen_compounds_expressed_as_nitrogen_due_to_fixation (kg m-2 s-1) (fBNF, C4MIP, under discussion), but for vegetation rather than soil:

tendency_of_vegetation_mass_content_of_nitrogen_compounds_expressed_as_nitrogen_due_to_fixation (kg m-2 s-1)
'The phrase "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. "Vegetation" means any living plants e.g. trees, shrubs, grass. The term "plants" refers to the kingdom of plants in the modern classification which excludes fungi. Plants are autotrophs i.e. "producers" of biomass using carbon obtained from carbon dioxide. The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. "Nitrogen compounds" summarizes all chemical species containing nitrogen atoms. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. On land, "nitrogen fixation" means the uptake of nitrogen gas directly from th
e atmosphere. The representation of fixed nitrogen is model dependent, with the nitrogen entering either plants, soil or both.'

I have constructed the definition from existing text. This is very similar to existing names. The name, units and definition are fine. This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065