⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: PMIP: standard names for the CMIP6 data request: tws, lighning flashes, wetland emissions, etc

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 17:37:27 +0100

Dear Martin

> (1.1) mrtws Terrestrial Water Storage [kg m-2]
>
> land_based_water_amount
>
> ?This quantity is often known as Terrestrial Water Storage.. It includes surface water (water in rivers, wetlands, lakes, snow, vegetation and reservoirs) and subsurface water (soil moisture, groundwater)?

That's good, but I think that land_water_amount would be better. The phrase
"land water(s)" is sometimes used for terrestrial water storage, and it is
analogous to land_ice. However, that raises the question of whether land_ice
is specifically excluded from this quantity. I think it might be, and if so,
should it be land_liquid_water? Is permafrost also included? - if so, we will
have to be even more precise in order to include frozen water in soil and snow
but exclude glaciers and ice sheets!

> (1.2) Flashrate Lightning flash rate [km-2 s-1]
>
> frequency_of_lightning_flash_per_unit_area

I suppose that "flashes" might sound more natural.