⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard Names to support Trac ticket 99

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 07:47:32 +0000

Dear Roy, Jonathan,

I understand the cause of Jonathan's concern: wikipedia suggests a broader interpretation of "taxon" which would be consistent with using the word to refer to the organisms from a biological taxon, but the Encyclopedia Britannica has a narrower and perhaps more scientifically precise definition in which "taxon" refers to the name, not the organisms matching the name (https://www.britannica.com/science/taxon ). The article uses the phrase "taxonomic category" which could be used as an alternative to Jonathan's suggestion:

mass_concentration_of_taxonomic_category_expressed_as_carbon_in_sea_water

regards,

Martin