⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fix Geostationary projection, including proposal for two new standard names

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 09:59:19 +0000

Hello All,

I've made a diagram of the geometry to try to get my understanding of these rotations clearer:

http://bit.ly/geosr_scan_geometry

The blue point in the sketch results from rotating the viewing vector through an angle y about the axis S_x, which is the tangent to the satellite orbit, and then through an angle x about S*_y, which is an axis formed by taking the axis S_y and rotating it through angle x.

The above sentence describes the angles in a way which is related to the functioning of the instrument, and I agree with Daniel that this is not an ideal approach for the standard.

To respond to Jim's question about parametric coordinates: I think it would be a shame to describe two components of a spherical polar coordinate system as "parametric" ... they are spherical angles which are very widely used. The challenge is to come up with a definition which is accurate and concise.

For the GEOS-R geometry we can define the angles in terms of a coordinate axis (the tangent to the orbit, S_x) and a reference plane (the plane defined by the Earth's polar axis and the vector from the centre of the Earth to the satellite). Once the axis and reference plane are defined, y is the azimuthal angle relative to the line from the satellite to the Earth's centre, and x is pi/2 minus the polar angle. i.e. x is pi/2 minus the angle between the line of sight and S_x. y is the angle between the line from the satellite to the Earth's centre and the perpendicular projection of the line of sight onto the reference plane.

For the alternative gimbal geometry a similar definition applies except that the coordinate axis (S_y) is parallel to the Earth's axis and the reference plane is the Earth's equatorial plane. Now y is pi/2 minus the angle between the line of sight and S_y. x is the angle between the line from the satellite to the Earth's centre and the perpendicular projection of the line of sight onto the reference plane.

regards,

Martin