⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name proposal related to methane, water vapor, carbon monoxide, semi-heavy water, and nitrogen dioxide.

From: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 18:34:40 +0000

Dear Maarten and Martin,

Many thanks for these proposals and apologies for not having responded sooner.

There seems to be full agreement that four of the names are a straight forward addition to the standard name table.

1. atmosphere_mole_content_of_methane (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "atmosphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the top of the atmosphere. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including "content_of_atmosphere_layer" are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula for methane is CH4. Methane is a member of the group of hydrocarbons known as alkanes. There are standard names for the alkane group as well as for some of the individual species.'

This name is accepted for inclusion in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

2. atmosphere_mole_content_of_water_vapor (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "atmosphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the top of the atmosphere. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including "content_of_atmosphere_layer" are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. Atmosphere water vapor content is sometimes referred to as "precipitable water", although this term does not imply the water could all be precipitated. The chemical formula for water is H2O.'

This name is accepted for inclusion in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

3. atmosphere_mole_content_of_carbon_monoxide (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "atmosphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the top of the atmosphere. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including "content_of_atmosphere_layer" are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula of carbon monoxide is CO.'

This name is accepted for inclusion in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

4. atmosphere_mole_content_of_nitrogen_dioxide (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "atmosphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the top of the atmosphere. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including "content_of_atmosphere_layer" are used. The construction "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X above a unit area. The chemical formula for nitrogen dioxide is NO2.'

This name is accepted for inclusion in the standard name table and will be added in the May update.

5. atmosphere_mole_content_of_semiheavy_water_vapor / atmosphere_mole_content_of_water_vapor_containing_2H (mol m-2)

This name is still under discussion, pending the outcome of the PMIP proposals. I will be looking at those over the next few days.

While looking at these atmosphere_mole_content proposals I came across three closely related ones dating from 2015 listed in the standard names editor:

6. mole_content_of_methane_in_atmosphere_layer (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "content_of_X_in_atmosphere_layer" refers to the vertical integral between two specified levels in the atmosphere. "Layer" means any layer with upper and lower boundaries that have constant values in some vertical coordinate. There must be a vertical coordinate variable indicating the extent of the layer(s). If the layers are model layers, the vertical coordinate can be model_level_number, but it is recommended to specify a physical coordinate (in a scalar or auxiliary coordinate variable) as well. For the mole content integrated from the surface to the top of the atmosphere, standard names including "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" are used. The chemical formula for ozone is CH4. Methane is a member of the group of hydrocarbons known as alkanes. There are standard names for the alkane group as well as for some of the individual species.'

7. mole_content_of_nitrogen_dioxide_in_atmosphere_layer (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "content_of_X_in_atmosphere_layer" refers to the vertical integral between two specified levels in the atmosphere. "Layer" means any layer with upper and lower boundaries that have constant values in some vertical coordinate. There must be a vertical coordinate variable indicating the extent of the layer(s). If the layers are model layers, the vertical coordinate can be model_level_number, but it is recommended to specify a physical coordinate (in a scalar or auxiliary coordinate variable) as well. For the mole content integrated from the surface to the top of the atmosphere, standard names including "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" are used. The chemical formula for ozone is NO2.'

8. mole_content_of_carbon_monoxide_in_atmosphere_layer (mol m-2)
' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "content_of_X_in_atmosphere_layer" refers to the vertical integral between two specified levels in the atmosphere. "Layer" means any layer with upper and lower boundaries that have constant values in some vertical coordinate. There must be a vertical coordinate variable indicating the extent of the layer(s). If the layers are model layers, the vertical coordinate can be model_level_number, but it is recommended to specify a physical coordinate (in a scalar or auxiliary coordinate variable) as well. For the mole content integrated from the surface to the top of the atmosphere, standard names including "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" are used. The chemical formula for ozone is CO.'

Again, all three of these are straight forward additions to the table. They don't seem to have received any comments on the mailing list but I can see no problems with them so these old proposals are also accepted and will be added in the May update.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065