⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fix Geostationary projection, including proposal for two new standard names

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 16:22:23 +0100

Dear Ethan

Thanks for taking this up. I think this approach is sensible.

> Perhaps we should include information on when the deprecated feature was in
> effect:
>
> The initial definition for this projection was agreed on in May 2012 though
> it was not in the CF document until 1.7 was released in Sept 2017. It was
> corrected in ??? 2018.
>
> And do we also want to include information about large datasets that use
> this deprecated technique:
>
> In that time, several satellite missions were developed and launched that
> generate data that use this now deprecated method including GOES-R
> (operational in Dec 2017), EUMETSAT ???? ...

Yes, I think it's a good idea to say these things. It's in line with the rules
(never before used!) about what to do if a mistake is discovered. It would also
be appropriate to release 1.8 as soon as we have agreed the change on a trac
ticket, with just this ticket included relative to 1.7, so that the corrected
version is available for use as soon as possible.

----- Forwarded message from Ethan Davis <edavis at ucar.edu> -----