⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] how to use ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_*

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 17:08:35 +0000

Hello Sebastien,

I have to admit that coming from an observational background I do not fully understand the raft of mixed layer thickness Standard Names that I presume have their origins in model data. They've been around for a long while (dated 2006, but could predate that by a couple of years) so those who fully understood how they were to be used with the MLD definition criteria quantified may not be still reading the list on a regular basis.

It's quite clear from the name definitions that the MLD specifications are differences in temperature, sigma-theta and sigma-T and not absolute values. It's also quite clear that there are no Standard Names to describe such differences, which makes me think that you are possibly the first person to attempt to encode the criterion as a co-ordinate (though they could have done so with long names rather than Standard Names).

I have some concern about your proposals, particularly for temperature, because sea water surface temperature means many things in CF including skin temperature, subskin temperature and foundation temperature. It therefore might be better to have Standard Names like:

sea_water_temperature_difference_defining_mixed_layer
sea_water_sigma_theta_difference_defining_mixed_layer
sea_water_sigma_t_difference_defining_mixed_layer

This gets around the issue of what is meant by 'surface'. I also added 'sea_water' to the sigma names to be consistent with the existing names sea_water_sigma_theta and sea_water_sigma_t.

Are you going to have a go at producing definitions for these proposals?

Cheers, Roy.

Please note that I partially retired on 01/11/2015. I am now only working 7.5 hours a week and can only guarantee e-mail response on Wednesdays, my day in the office. All vocabulary queries should be sent to enquiries at bodc.ac.uk. Please also use this e-mail if your requirement is urgent.