⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for C4MIP - part 2

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 07:24:51 +0000

Dear Alison, Chris,

I have a few questions about items 21, 22, 23:

21: raStem surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_due_to_plant_respiration_in_stems:

22: raLeaf surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_due_to_plant_respiration_in_leaves

23: raRoot surface_upward_mass_flux_of_carbon_due_to_plant_respiration_in_roots

Q1: Such terms, which relate to the CO2 flux into the atmosphere, are usually of the form "..flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon...".

Have you decided that the longer form is redundant here?

Q2: We also have an existing name "plant_respiration_carbon_flux" which is used for variable "ra", as in CMIP5. "plant_respiration_carbon_flux" is described as a mass flux of carbon into the atmosphere and soil: would it be safe to assume that the carbon respiration flux into soil is the component from the roots? Shouldn't this be something like plant_respiration_carbon_flux_from_roots_into_soil?

Q3: there should be a name for "raOther" somewhere, which would follow the pattern established for "nppOther" in this discussion, but does "raOther" include fluxes into soil and atmosphere, as "ra", or is it just a flux into the atmosphere, as "raLeaf" and "raStem"?

regards,

Martin