⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] how to use ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_*

From: Sebastien Villaume <sebastien.villaume>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 13:04:42 +0000 (GMT-00:00)

Dear list,

I have a question regarding the use of the standard names of the form ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_*

the definition from the official standard name table is:

"The ocean mixed layer is the upper part of the ocean, regarded as being well-mixed. The base of the mixed layer defined by temperature, sigma or sigma_theta is the level at which the quantity indicated differs from its surface value by a certain amount."

>From what I understand, in the case of ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_temperature, I should specify some quantity as a scalar (Z axis), but it is actually a temperature difference that I need to encode, not a plain temperature : temp_surf - temp_base_level = temp_delta_defining_mixed_layer_thickness

if it was simply a temperature I would maybe use:

float swpt ;
    swpt:standard_name = "sea_water_potential_temperature" ;
    swpt:units = "degC" ;
    swpt:axis = "Z" ;
    swpt:positive = "down" ;

but what I really want to encode is a temperature difference. How can I specify that? Is "sea_water_potential_temperature" the correct standard name to use?

same question for ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_sigma_theta, how do I encode a "difference" in sigma_theta?

thanks,

____________________________________

Dr. S?bastien Villaume

M.A.R.S. Analyst