⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to describe nr. of samples & absolute/relative uncertainty

From: Erik Quaeghebeur <E.R.G.Quaeghebeur>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 11:49:58 +0100

Dear Eduardo,
Dear list,

I asked (among other things):

>> I have 10-minute statistics [?] data for which I know
>> the sampling frequency and therefore the number of samples. [?]
>>
>> How do I encode the sampling frequency and number of samples in a way that
>> these are accessible in a standard way?
>>
>> I now use, e.g.,
>>
>> variable.cell_methods = "time: mean (interval: 10 minutes comment: sampled
>> at 1 Hz, so 600 samples)"
>>
>> but this puts the frequency information in an ?opaque? comment. [?]

Eduardo replied (my thanks go out to him):

> I am not sure if I understood properly your issue, so I
> preferred to write directly to you instead of posting my answer
> to the mailing list.
>
> I have the feeling that what you are looking for would be:
>
> variable:cell_methods = "time: mean (interval: 1 second)"
>
> then the length of the interval would be perfectly defined in
> the values of the time coordinate boundaries
>
> time:bounds = "time_bnds" ;
>
> so the number of observations could be obtained combining those
> two elements: the sampling frequency information within the
> "interval" bit of the cell_methods and the length of the
> sampling interval defined by the "time_bnds" values.

And Eduardo is absolutely right about this. I had misunderstood the
definition of ?interval?. It would nevertheless still be of interest to be
able to put this information?sampling frequency and number of samples?in
separate /number-valued/ attributes. Now the cell_methods field has to be
parsed and the value obtained combined with an interval length implicit in
the time_bounds variable.

Would you consider adding such attributes to the conventions?

(I would be grateful for any replies to my questions about encoding
uncertainties.)

Best,

Erik

--