⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of axis attribute in an auxillary coordinate

From: martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk <martin.juckes>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 09:33:29 +0000

Hello David,

it looks to me as though the attempt to remove ambiguity has not been entirely successful. The statement in the definition of "coordinate variable" that "We use this term precisely as it is defined in the NUG section on coordinate variables<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf_data_set_components.html#coordinate_variables>" is clearly at odds with what is proposed in #104.

I find the terminology confusing. The adjective "auxiliary" is usually used as a qualification, e.g. an "auxiliary verb" is a kind of verb. The CF convention, however, saying that an "auxiliary coordinate" is not a kind of coordinate variable ... just a variable containing coordinate data. It may help clarify things if we use the term "standard coordinate variable" when referring to the NUG++ type of coordinate variable (which I think means something conforming to the NUG definition, or something like "time(time)" which is referenced in a coordinates attribute or a scalar variable referenced in a coordinates attribute, provided the scalar variable has an axis attribute -- though I'm unclear about the intention regarding scalar coordinates).

regards,

Martin