⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard_name proposal for volcanic ash and radioactive particles

From: Heiko Klein <Heiko.Klein>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 09:54:25 +0100

Dear David,

I consider the CF-convention as more binding document than the
guidelines. The CF-conventions specifies case-sensitivity for
standard-names, i.e.
standard name
    The name used to identify the physical quantity. A standard name
contains no whitespace and is case sensitive.

>From a historical perspective, the guidelines document is several years
younger than the standard_name table and was thought to be 'just' a
guideline on how to construct new standard_names, which I tried to
follow when proposing these standard-names.

The question to the community here is: Is it acceptable to allow
upper-case (or hyphen) for the special case of isotope IUPAC symbols,
even if upper-case symbols haven't been used until now?

In this case, we should eventually update the guidelines, but the
guidelines document is not as governed as the convention-document
(issue-tracker) or the standard-name table (this mailing list). We have
already a special (incomplete) section for chemical species in the
guidelines.

Best regards,

Heiko