⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: Re: Clarifying standard names for 'mass_concentration_of_*_dry_aerosol_particles'

From: Daniel Neumann <daniel.neumann>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 22:46:55 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

> OK. If experts are unanimous in their conviction that the existing names will
> never be needed for the meaning that they appear to have, I agree that they
> should become aliases of the new names, which convey the correct meaning.
> I'm sure this change could be made.
Great.

> Alison Pamment is in charge of the updates
> as you know and I expect she will consider as it soon as she has time. I think
> that a complete list of the new and old names would be useful - that may
> already be in one of your emails, perhaps.
I didn't include a full list yet. I will create one and send it around
the next days.

After reading one of the past mailing list posts again and talking to a
former colleague: it might be better to just include an "_in_" between
"X" and "dry_aerosol_particles" in the new names (and maybe remove
aerosol) instead of creating names like "...particulate_X_in_air". This
first version with "_in_" is better expandable, when particle size
fractions like PM10 should be considered in future (like
"..._X_in_PM10_dry_aerosol_particles_in_air").

Thank you very much.

Best,
Daniel