⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Clarifying standard names for 'mass_concentration_of_*_dry_aerosol_particles'

From: Daniel Neumann <daniel.neumann>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 10:58:05 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

>> Regarding "dry": When we provide the total particle mass or the
>> particle size distribution, it is important to distinguish between
>> dry and wet particle condition. When we provide the mass of one
>> species (independent of the particle size) it does not matter
>> whether we consider dry oder wet particles. Therefore, dry does not
>> need to be included in these names.
> OK - that's fine. Do you also not need to mention "aerosol"? I mean, does
> "particulate" necessarily mean "aerosol"? I suppose it does, in air.
Yes, your are right.

>> Is it feasible to rename all affected standard names?
> It would be feasible (using aliases) but is it necessary? It seems to me that
> your question has identified that there should be a distinction between e.g.
> mass_concentration_of_particulate_X_in_air
> and
> mass_concentration_of_X_dry_aerosol_particles_in_air
> for X=ammonium etc. These are different quantities: the former refers to the
> mass of ammonium only, the latter to the dry mass of the aerosol of that type.
> That is, we need new names for CMIP6, not aliases.
Yes, there should be a distinction between both standard names. However,
the latter name has been used as synonym for the first name up till now
(e.g. in CMIP5 or in a data set I published recently). Additionally, the
latter name has no real application - at least I am not aware of an
application (neither for model nor for measurement data). Therefore, it
might be reasonable for backward compatibility to use aliases.

Best,
Daniel

e-mail:daniel.neumann at io-warnemuende.de