⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] grid cells with a varying number of cell bounds

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 16:47:22 -0800

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Karl Taylor <taylor13 at llnl.gov> wrote:

> My sense is that no one violently opposes the use of missing_value to fill
> unused vertices for grid cells with fewer than the maximum number of
> vertices.

I'm pretty sure this has been brought this up before (at least suggesting
that UGRID be consulted )but UGRID uses _FillValue , rather than
missing_value:

http://ugrid-conventions.github.io/ugrid-conventions/#2d-flexible-mesh-mixed-triangles-quadrilaterals-etc-topology

I have no recollection as to why that was chosen, but I encourage you not
to do something different than an existing standard without good reason.

> For CMIP6 some models may need to define grids with a few cells having one
> less vertex than the majority. I am (much too late in the process) writing
> down the data requirements for CMIP6 model output,

Any reason CMIP shouldn't specify the UGRID standard and be done with it?

If there is something missing from the UGRID standard that is needed,
please let us know, and ideally propose an addition.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer