⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Observation number

From: Bowler, Neill <neill.bowler>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 11:36:03 +0000

Hi all,

I'm very new to this, so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm working on GPSRO data, and once this data has been collated we write it to a netCDF file. The main observation data is written as a 2D array with dimensions observation number (1 to n, where n will vary from file to file) and height (from 0 to 60km). The file also contains lots of additional data (such as latitude and longitude of each observation, the ID of the satellite used, etc). The integer observation number is the only sensible unique dimension that I know of.

My difficulty is that observation number, or something similar, is not in the CF standard. Therefore my files are not CF-compliant, although they are in every other respect. Is there scope for adding something like observation number to the standard?

Many thanks,

Neill

Neill Bowler Expert Scientist - GPSRO & Ensemble Forecasting
Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 886449 Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
Email: Neill.Bowler at metoffice.gov.uk<mailto:Neill.Bowler at metoffice.gov.uk> Website: www.metoffice.gov.uk<http://www.metoffice.gov.uk>
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/people/neill-bowler