⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] various "time" in CF

From: Sebastien Villaume <sebastien.villaume>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 16:17:39 +0000 (GMT-00:00)

Hi Antonio,

if I understand you correctly the only thing that distinguishes an analysis from the initial forecast step is the use or not of forecast_period with value 0? Is it a common practice and are all netCDF users familiar and confortable with that subtle difference?
How can I include in the same file the analysis and the entire forecast?

I fully agree with you that "forecast", "hindcast", "analysis", "reanalysis", etc. do not relate to the time coordinate. But this is violated by the use of "forecast_reference_time" and "forecast_period" instead of simply "reference_time" and "period"? Do you agree?

I never thought of using realization as a way to describe all these concepts. I always thought that realization was specifically designed for probability related stuff and that the standard_name comes from the definition of a "realization" in probability/statistic theory.
I would define the various concepts as various "processes" rather than "realizations".

In the case of a set of hindcasts, how would you write the metadata?

cheers,
/S?bastien