⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] positive attribute expansion of use and reserved values

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 08:44:52 -0400

Jonathan,

I am confused by your answer to Kenneth. As you know, we already have a
CF attribute named positive that derives from COARDS. CF 1.7 states in
Section 1.3

    Vertical coordinates with units of pressure may also be identified
    by the*|units|*attribute. Other vertical coordinates must use the
    attribute*|positive|*which determines whether the direction of
    increasing coordinate value is up or down.

I don't see Kenneth asking for anything new other than an expanded
vocabulary for the attribute, but in your answer I get the impression
that you feel he is asking for something fundamentally different from
what we currently have. Are you suggesting that we should deprecate the
use of the 'positive' attribute? Your response doesn't seem to reflect
the scope of his request.

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 9/27/17 7:45 PM, Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Dear Ken
>
> Thanks for your email. I sympathise with the problem, but I don't agree with
> the proposal. Actually similar suggestions have been made before.
>
> It's an important principle with the standard names that they always indicate
> their sign convention. This is so that, if a standard name is provided, the
> sign convention is unavoidably specified; if the sign convention were not in
> the standard name, but in another attribute e.g. positive, it is certain that
> it would be omitted sometimes by mistake. If the sign convention were specified
> in the standard name *and* another attribute, it is certain that they would
> sometimes be inconsistent by mistake. Either mistake would make the data less
> usable. You mention cases where the wrong standard name is given. I agree, that
> makes the data less usable too, but I'd say the solution to that is to fix the
> data, when the problem has been identified; we should not have to modify the
> convention in a way which would make it generally more error-prone. You also
> mention cases where you don't have a standard name but you do need a direction.
> Presumably you must have some other information in that case about what the
> quantity is - which attribute are you using? If it's the long name, you could
> put the sign convention in there, for example, as for standard names. New
> standard names can also be requested for instrumental quantities, and the
> direction doesn't have to be "up" or "down" in standard names. As you probably
> know, there are already standard names containing away_from to indicate their
> sign convention, just as you suggest.
>
> I agree that there is sometimes a need to know how to relate quantities with
> opposite sign conventions in their standard names. The standard names are
> mostly systematically constructed, but for use by humans; they aren't designed
> to be parsed by machines. If there is a need for some means to deal with this,
> I would favour recording the sign convention as a machine-readable extra piece
> of information in the standard name table. If we put it in the table, it must
> be consistent with the standard name; you'd just have to look it up, instead of
> trying to extract it from the standard name.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Jonathan
>
> ----- Forwarded message from "Kehoe, Kenneth E." <kkehoe at ou.edu> -----
>
>> Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 22:49:20 +0000
>> From: "Kehoe, Kenneth E." <kkehoe at ou.edu>
>> To: "CF-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu" <CF-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu>
>> Subject: [CF-metadata] positive attribute expansion of use and reserved
>> values
>>
>> CF-metadata,
>>
>> I would like to propose an expansion of the use and reserved values for the ?positive? attribute (section 4.3), specifically to include values in addition to the two reserved values of ?up? and ?down? to include ?towards? and ?away?.

> [...]

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
on Twitter at _at_NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
_at_NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /