⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Add new integer types to CF?

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:25:00 -0400

I think it's valid to mention the history relating to signed and
unsigned types (and the lack of specificity).

This also raises a related issue that I was letting slide. :-)

In the paragraph below (which comes from the 'old' CF section), the
convention for indicating unsigned values only claims to be valid for
byte type. I know of numerous files "in the wild" that have unsigned
values stored in short (2-byte) integer variables. There is no reason
for the convention to be limited to byte type that I can see.

Explicitly allowing unsigned types somewhat obviates the need for the
convention moving forward, but it seems to me that the existing
convention is unnecessarily narrow.

Grace and peace,

Jim

--