⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Add new integer types to CF?

From: Mary Jo Brodzik <brodzik>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 15:55:41 -0600 (MDT)

Charlie, your unsigned proposal change looks good to me, except for one
question.

I must be very tired right now, but I don't understand why you are
suggesting the prohibition on unsigned types for packed data:

"Use of unsigned types to hold packed data is not permitted since
they are incapable of representing negative numbers."

Why should it matter? For example, Kelvin temperatures are always
positive. If I have a variable that stores such temperatures, why
should I be prohibited from storing it as a packed unsigned int?

Mary Jo