⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] A user has a set of variables they can't store: advice?

From: Rauthe-Schöch, Armin <armin.rauthe-schoech>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 19:27:39 +0000

Dear Cathy Smith,

I saw your email on the CF-metadata mailinglist about how to store CF-metadata in NASA AMES files. Maybe you find the attached information useful for your users.

I worked many years in the CARIBIC flying observatory project (http://www.caribic-atmospheric.com/ ). CARIBIC uses NASA AMES text files to store the data measured during the flights. Each instrument used a somewhat different NASA AMES format. So in 2014 we decided to standardize our NASA AMES files and include some CF-compliant metadata into the files.

The intention was to create NASA AMES files that are
a) as compliant as possible to the original NASA AMES format
b) easily readable with Excel
c) include CF-metadata according to the CF-convention

I have attached our format description and an example file containing aircraft position and attitude data for one measurement flight.

You will see that to fulfill point b), we repeat some of the information like variable names and units in the last few lines of the header. If you load our NASA AMES files with Excel, it will show this information directly above the actual data columns.

Since we are working in a community with its own preferred units (like ppm, ppb, etc.) which are partly discouraged by the CF-convention, we include both our own units as well as the correct CF-units.

Best regards,

Armin

--
Dr. Armin Rauthe-Sch?ch