⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] JSON representation based on CF

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 17:12:52 -0700

At a really quick glance, it looks like CovJSON has a different mission
that "CF-json" or "netcdf-json". But they do sure overlap, so I hope we can
not have TOO many overlapping yet different JSON specs out there.

None of these are very mature or widely adopted -- so now it a good time
(indeed the ONLY time to merge some of this.

CF-JSON looks a little bit like a misnomer, or a maybe a different focus
that what I'd expect. What I"ve getting at is that CF is a metadata spec
(and maybe a data model) -- while it is quite tied to netcdf, it ISN'T
netcdf per se.

So if you what to express that kind of information in JSON, I think the
thing to do is specify how to map netcdf to JSON, and then simply apply the
same CF metadata standards.

Which is what NCO has done.

One couldn't of course, express the CF data model in JSON directly, without
specifically mapping to netcdf, though I think that would look very
similar, but not be as generally applicable.

At a quick glance, NCO's JSON and the CF-JSON spec are similar -- after
all, they are tryn gto do teh same thing -- but there are a lot of niggling
details to settle on, and I can only imagine independent efforts came up
with different solutions.

So I hope that the two groups (and the covjson folks) can get together and
converge to one thing!

-CHB