⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Clarifying standard names for 'mass_concentration_of_*_dry_aerosol_particles'

From: Markus Fiebig <Markus.Fiebig>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 12:32:47 +0000

Dear Daniel,

thanks for posting this again, I missed your first posting during vacation.

Coming from the observation community, a name like

mass_concentration_of_X_dry_aerosol_particles_in_air

doesn't make much sense beyond archiving a model output field since it doesn't
describe any quantity that could be readily observed. Also, the mass
concentration of particles containing chemical X is somewhat ill-defined. You
will find some traces of X in almost all particles of an aerosol containing X -
so where is the threshold for saying that a particle contains X?

To me, it would make much more sense to have names of the type

mass_concentration_of_X_in_dry_aerosol_particles_in_air

This type of name is less ambiguous to understand, and describes a property that
can in fact be observed.

Best regards,
Markus

--
Dr. Markus Fiebig
Senior Scientist
e-mail: Markus.Fiebig at nilu.no
skype: markus.fiebig
P Please consider the environment before printing this email and attachments