⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name for land/sea mask

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 11:26:32 -0400

Dear Jim

I agree that for some purposes you want a field of integers that identifies the
area types, rather than a binary mask. I think this can be achieved by using
the existing standard_name of area_type. This standard_name indicates a string-
valued data variable, but it can be encoded as self-describing integers with
flag_values and flag_meanings, as you say.

----- Forwarded message from Jim Biard <jbiard at cicsnc.org> -----