⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for NEMO ocean model output

From: Sebastien Villaume <sebastien.villaume>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 10:38:58 +0000 (GMT-00:00)

Dear All,

after discussing with the dataset owner/expert (Eric), he has confirmed to me that all the quantities involved are instantaneous and that sea_surface_height is the correct reference.

The definition given by Alison is correct:

> the sum of
> sea_water_mass_per_unit_area_expressed_as_thickness and
> steric_change_in_sea_surface were meant to give the total water column
> thickness in a given model time step. The steric change measures the
> contribution of sea water density to the thickness compared with what it would
> be if the same mass of water had standard temperature and salinity

Regarding the choice between verbosity/clarity vs domain expert preferred naming, we are still open but it seemed through the discussion that the domain expert naming was favoured. Our main concern is that we want to use these standard names as soon as possible and want them published in the next release of the table.

Best Wishes,
/S?bastien