⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] sea water speed and direction?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 13:44:48 +0100

Dear John and Roy

direction_of_X is a construction in the standard name table, and I believe it's
assumed it's a to_direction. For wind, which is the oldest vector in the table,
we have to_direction and from_direction because of the potential confusion of
e.g. westerly and westward wind. Is there a confusion in practice for sea water
and sea ice? I mean, does anyone use "from" directions for these velocities?
If there is a use-case, I agree we ought to distinguish.

----- Forwarded message from "Lowry, Roy K." <rkl at bodc.ac.uk> -----