⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] sea water speed and direction?

From: John Maurer <jmaurer>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 09:37:05 -1000

Please provide guidance on which CF Standard Names to use for sea water
surface velocity. We will soon have a new buoy with an acoustic current
meter (ACM) that records speed (m/s) and direction (degrees) of the surface
currents. Are these the recommended CF Standard Names to attribute for
these measurement parameters?:

   - sea_water_speed
   - direction_of_sea_water_velocity

The latter does not indicate the "from" or "to" direction of the variable,
which concerns me. I am used to applying "wind_from_direction" or
"wind_to_direction" for wind measurements to solve this ambiguity. Thoughts
on replacing this with "sea_water_from_direction" and
"sea_water_to_direction"?

Also, I note there are CF Standard Names that exist for
"surface_eastward_sea_water_velocity" and
"surface_northward_sea_water_velocity". I would expect and recommend the
addition of the following surface names:

   - surface_sea_water_speed
   - surface_sea_water_from_direction
   - surface_sea_water_to_direction

Please advise.
Thanks!,
John Maurer
Data System Engineer
Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PacIOOS)
University of Hawaii at Manoa