⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names under ice velocity of water

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 07:58:02 +0000

Dear Ute,

There is a precedent in CF for not giving separate Standard Names to a single geophysical variable solely on the basis of its spatial distribution, the classic example being air temperature where the meteorological standard measurement '2m air temperature' has not been given its own Standard Name.

I am also strongly against separate Standard Names for 'surface' unless they represent unique phenomena as has been argued for sea temperature and sea surface velocity.

To me assigning separate Standard Names to currents in the top x metres of water that happens to be under ice sets a very dangerous precedent. If you decide to add extra water body layers to your model - say 10-50m, and 50-100m would you want different Standard Names for the currents in each of these?

I can see two possible solutions to your problem of semantically differentiating the two water body layers in your model.

1) Use the long name parameter attribute

2) Include a z co-ordinate variable to describe each layer

A third option would be to do both (1) and (2).

Cheers, Roy.

Please note that I partially retired on 01/11/2015. I am now only working 7.5 hours a week and can only guarantee e-mail response on Wednesdays, my day in the office. All vocabulary queries should be sent to enquiries at bodc.ac.uk. Please also use this e-mail if your requirement is urgent.