⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] An area type for non-ocean water surfaces

From: Daniel Neumann <daniel.neumann>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 20:07:39 +0200

Dear Martin, Dear Jonathan,

I wonder whether there are applications, for which it might be
reasonable to distinguish between rivers (or more general "running
inland waters") and lakes?

The reasons for distinguishing between ocean and inland water
(primarily) are:
- ocean is a large flat area and impacts wind speed differently than
small inland lakes
- The ocean has a higher salinity and, hence, hosts different ecosystems
than inland waters. Therefore, the ocean emits other substances (or more
of them): sea salt, halogenated organic compounds, DMS, ...

Rivers and lakes also host different ecosystems. Additionally, the
air-water exchange might be more pronounced at the surface of running
waters. Therefore, it might be reasonable to have both individually.

Best wishes,
Daniel