⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Representing statistics in CF

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 10:26:11 -0400

Jon,

This is something I have also found confusing in the past. It's
unfortunate that we have a system in which you must dig through multiple
attributes to figure out the type/kind/class of measurement you are
dealing with, but this is how CF grew.

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 4/24/17 12:17 PM, Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Dear Jon
>
>> 2. Representing the variability of a quantity within a time period (e.g. expressing the annual mean plus a measure of the spread of values around the mean).
>> I assume that (2) is solved by using cell methods on the time axis (e.g. cell_methods = ?t: mean? or ?t: standard_deviation? etc). Please correct me if I?m wrong!
> Quite right. The time period is recorded using bounds of the time coord var.
>
>> 1. Representing the mean and spread of an ensemble of simulations (i.e. boiling down a set of ensemble members to two variables: mean and spread).
>> For (1) should I use a standard name modifier? If so, is there a reason why ?mean? and ?standard deviation? are not listed as standard name modifiers? ?Standard error? is listed, but this is different from standard deviation, and I think that what I will need is probably a standard deviation.
> You can do this with cell_methods in exactly the same way, "e: mean" and
> "e: standard_deviation" where e is the ensemble dimension. If you don't have
> an ensemble dimension, you could put "realization: mean" and
> "realization: standard_deviation", since "realization" is a standard_name
> for ensemble member designators.
>
> Best wishes

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
on Twitter at _at_NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
_at_NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /