⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] axis attribute

From: Sebastien Villaume <sebastien.villaume>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 20:26:20 +0000 (GMT-00:00)

Hi David,

I am still missing an attribute attached to "latitude" and "longitude" to bind them with their respective axis/spatial dimension.
The "link" is still implicit if nothing else than what you wrote is added. I also feel that the dimension and axis attributes are somehow redundant.

I also find your long_name attribute misleading because all the values in latitude(j,i) goes on the Y axis and all the values in longitude(j,i) goes on the X axis! i and j are only the indices of the horizontal grid. Your long_name suggests something else.

Is it ok if I add in your example an "axis_mapping" attribute to lat and lon:

dimensions:
    i = 100 ;
    j = 200 ;
variables:
    char x:
        x:dimension = "i" ;
        x:axis = "X" ;
        x:standard_name = "???" ;
    char y:
        y:dimension = "j" ;
        y:axis = "Y" ;
        y:standard_name = "???" ;
    double longitude(j, i) ;
        longitude:units = "degrees_east" ;
        longitude:axis_mapping = x ;
    double latitude(j, i) ;
        latitude:units = "degrees_north" ;
        latitude:axis_mapping = y ;
    double tas(j, i) ;
        tas:standard_name = "air_temperature" ;
        tas:units = "K" ;
        tas:coordinates = "longitude latitude" ;
        tas:axes = "x y" ; // new data variable attribute which points to dimension variables

/S?bastien