⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF compliant tripolar grid representation

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 08:28:21 +0000

I would like to restate my concern about describing the tri-polar grid as a coordinate reference system, using the 'grid mapping' defined in approach in 5.6. Horizontal Coordinate Reference Systems, Grid Mappings, and Projections and Appendix F Grid Mappings.

I do not think that the tri-polar grid is a Coordinate Reference System, unlike all other entities defined in Appendix F. I think that adding a tri-polar definition here fundamentally alters the interpretation of 'grid mapping' and has potentially significant implications for software providing capabilities to work with grid mapping entities.
This would represent a significant change of scope for these aspects of the Conventions document.

Currently all entries in Appendix F are either a Geographic Coordinate Reference System or a Projected Coordinate Reference System.
The tri-polar grid is neither of these.
The mechanics of looking up the required longitude and latitude values for a given x/i and y/j coordinate index are not mathematically similar to the calculations for geographic or projected space

I think the CF community would do well to consider where else information defining a tri-polar grid may be encoded in a file, and to keep the scope of the Grid Mapping section constrained.

I saw Appendix D: Parametric Vertical Coordinates mentioned as well, all be it in passing. The tri-polar grid does not seem like a case of parametric coordinates either, to me, even if the 'vertical' was relaxed.

I realise I am raising objections but not proposing solutions, I do not have an easy answer here, I am afraid.

all the best
mark