⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] axis attribute

From: Sebastien Villaume <sebastien.villaume>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 08:36:29 +0000 (GMT-00:00)

Hi,

I am also against assigning an "axis" attribute to a 2-D variables.

>From a mathematical point of view an axis is one dimension, has an origin, a reference unit and a direction. For instance a 3D Cartesian coordinates system has three dimensions defined by 3 axes, each axis is defined by a unit vector (reference unit and direction) and an origin (it happens that they all share the same origin but it is not a requirement in principle). A spherical coordinate system has also 3 dimensions, defined by 1 axis and 2 angles, the axis is defined like in Cartesian coordinates, the 2 angles are defined by an origin (0deg), a reference unit (1/360 of a circle) and a direction ( increasing degrees is anti clockwise).

Clearly 2-D latitude and longitude do not fulfil this. In my case both are simply variables in a 2D space that needs to be defined somehow. This is exactly why I am trying to define 2 "supporting" 1-D variables with the clear intention to put an axis attribute on them. I could name this 2 supporting variables x and y , or i and j or whatever.

Is it acceptable to put an "axis = x/y" on variables with standard names containing i/j? would it be acceptable to put axis = i/j instead?

More generally when you have a dataset in a different coordinates system, i.e. spherical coordinates, do you put axis x/y/z on r, theta, phi? if you have a dataset in a grid point space: i/j/k? of in a lattice space (admittedly with limited usage for earth science)? Would it be more logical to have different type of variable attributes for different type of dimensions? like "axis", "angle", etc.

This is a more general discussion for the CF convention experts, what I only need is two standard names to describe my lat/lon supporting axes!

Dr. S?bastien Villaume
Analyst
ECMWF Shinfield Park,
Reading RG2 9AX, UK