⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF compliant tripolar grid representation

From: Sebastien Villaume <sebastien.villaume>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 21:23:32 +0000 (GMT-00:00)

Dear Jim and Karl,

thank you for your quick answers.

Karl, it seems that the tripolar grid mentioned in the link you sent is defined in this paper:

Murray, R. J., 1996: Explicit generation of orthogonal grids for ocean models. Journal of Computational Physics, 126, 251-273

which is cited by the paper from the NEMO group (Madec et al) that I mentioned in my original question. I need to check carefully if the definition is really identical or if they simply got inspired by the "Murray tripolar grid" and derived something similar but not exactly identical. In that case, it means there are several types of tripolar grids...
One first difference I can directly identify is that the separation between the regular lat-lon and the modified part is not at the same latitude: 65N for Murray tripolar grid and 40N for the NEMO one.
In any case, if someone already defined tripolar grids in a CF compliant way, I can definitely start from there.

Regarding X and Y, I thought that "projection_[x|y]_coordinate" were used in the case of a projection on an Euclidian plane since the units of both standard names are "meters".
What I am really after is more what you are suggesting later in your answer, i.e. mesh_grid_[i|j]_index. It feels weird to have a 2-D lat and lon as coordinates axis Y/X, this is why I need I would like to add those 1-D coordinate variables. I also noticed the grid_latitude and grid_longitude in the standard_name table but it is explicitly for rotated grids.

Would it be possible to request mesh_grid_i_index and mesh_grid_j_index? (regardless of the feasibility of defining a proper tripolar crs)

Dr. S?bastien Villaume
Analyst
ECMWF Shinfield Park,
Reading RG2 9AX, UK