⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for new standard names for climatological statistics based on thresholds

From: Hollis, Dan <dan.hollis>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 09:22:57 +0000

Hi Jonathan,

I find it hard to say whether the distinction is 'critical' - it just seems to me that, given CF goes to great lengths to be as precise as possible, we ought to be similarly precise when describing parameters derived from discretized data.

Just out of interest, I ran a query on our database to look at daily max temperatures at Heathrow Airport since 01/01/2000. There are 461 days when the maximum was >= 25.0 deg C. Of these, 12 days are exactly 25.0 deg C and would be excluded if a strict inequality was used.

Clearly there are uncertainties associated with observations of temperature, and the values themselves are only reported to the nearest 0.1 deg C. Whether a difference of 12 days is statistically significant I'm not sure. At the very least we know that "greater than" will always produce a lower count than "greater than or equal to" (except for small datasets that do not contain any instances of the threshold value) and it seems reasonable that the definition is clearly stated so that users can make an informed judgement when comparing datasets.

Regards,

Dan