⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: RE: Request for 4 new standard names - CMIP6 HighResMIP

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 08:45:02 +0000

Dear Malcolm and Jonathan,

Thank you for the proposals and discussion of the HighResMIP names. I note that for the integral names the syntax needed to be adjusted slightly to fit with the pattern of existing names, so these should be:
integral_of_product_of_eastward_wind_and_specific_humidity_wrt_height
integral_of_product_of_northward_wind_and_specific_humidity_wrt_height.

With this minor change the names and units are fine and the definitions can be based on the wording of existing names. I have therefore accepted all four HighResMIP names and included them in this week's standard name table update. The published names, in full, are given below.

integral_of_product_of_eastward_wind_and_specific_humidity_wrt_height (m2 s-1)
'The phrase "integral_of_Y_wrt_X" means int Y dX. The data variable should have an axis for X specifying the limits of the integral as bounds. The phrase "wrt" means "with respect to". Height is the vertical distance above the surface. The phrase "product_of_X_and_Y" means X*Y. Wind is defined as a two-dimensional (horizontal) air velocity vector, with no vertical component. (Vertical motion in the atmosphere has the standard name "upward_air_velocity".) "Eastward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed eastward (negative westward). Specific humidity is the mass fraction of water vapor in (moist) air.'

integral_of_product_of_northward_wind_and_specific_humidity_wrt_height (m2 s-1)
'The phrase "integral_of_Y_wrt_X" means int Y dX. The data variable should have an axis for X specifying the limits of the integral as bounds. The phrase "wrt" means "with respect to". Height is the vertical distance above the surface. The phrase "product_of_X_and_Y" means X*Y. Wind is defined as a two-dimensional (horizontal) air velocity vector, with no vertical component. (Vertical motion in the atmosphere has the standard name "upward_air_velocity".) "Northward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed northward (negative southward). Specific humidity is the mass fraction of water vapor in (moist) air.'

wet_bulb_potential_temperature (K)
'Wet bulb potential temperature is the temperature a parcel of air would have if moved dry adiabatically until it reaches saturation and thereafter moist adiabatically to sea level pressure.'

shallow_convective_precipitation_flux (kg m-2 s-1)
'Convective precipitation is that produced by the convection schemes in an atmosphere model. Some atmosphere models differentiate between shallow and deep convection. In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics.'

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065