⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Recording "day of year on which something happens"

From: Bärring Lars <Lars.Barring>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:47:28 +0000

Dear all,

Some further comments (top posting because my email reader does not easily handle inline comments)

1. I think that it is essential to also capture the temperature threshold used to calculate the GDD. The Wikipedia article suggests that 10 degC is most common (or even standard), but in my experience 5 degC is common, and this is what ETCCDI and ET-SCI are using in their definitions. And it seems that 5 degC is used in the scientific paper cited in Wikipedia article. Hence, a CF standard name should somehow be able to capture which threshold temperature is used.

2.The Wikipedia article mentions that "maximum temperature is usually capped at 30 ?C" but this is to my understanding in relation to the simplified calculation using diurnal midrange, (Tmax+Tmin)/2. as a 'proxy' for daily mean temperature. And it is not clear what is meant by "usually" in this context. For example ETCCDI and ET-SCI definitions do not impose this upper limit, and their definitions are very well established and have for example been used in several rounds of IPCC assessments. Now, there might be (are) alternative definitions out there, some tweaked for specific purposes that involves all sorts of complexities. But if we are going to work towards defining some standard names I think it would be good to begin with the well-established and widely disseminated definitions, cf. the AMS glossary http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Growing_degree-day.

Another aspect to keep in mind is that with modern (since a couple of decades...) measurement equipment it is possible to get higher temporal resolution than daily mean temperature (proper, or estimated as diurnal mid-range). Hence there is also the very similar concept of growing degree hours, cf. http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Growing_degree-hour

Preferably, a standard name should be agnostic to the temporal resolution of the input data.

4. I guess that the cell methods, and units, will become clearer once the standard name has been teased out.

Jon, I would be interested to learn what your project colleagues are using.

Finally, to refocus back on the original topic of this thread (that is much broader than growing degree day thresholds dates) : We should not forget that there are many other use cases for a CF mechanism to record the first/last/etc. timing of an event in relation to a reference time.

Kind regards,
Lars