⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Recording "day of year on which something happens"

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 10:24:46 -0400

Nan,

That's another good point to keep in mind. Most DOY (Day Of Year)
representations that I have seen are 1-based. Everything to do with
calendars and/or time always seems to get complicated!

Jim

On 3/17/17 9:05 AM, Nan Galbraith wrote:
> [...]
>> statistics could be:
>> >>>>>>
>> http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/41/build/cf-standard-name-table.html#spell_length_of_days_with_air_temperature_above_threshold_tr
>> <http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/41/build/cf-standard-name-table.html#spell_length_of_days_with_air_temperature_above_threshold_tr>
>> the surface (skin) temperature. A spell is the number of
>> consecutive days on which the condition X_below|above_threshold is
>> satisified. A variable whose standard name has the form
>> spell_length_of_days_with_X_below|above_threshold *must have a
>> coordinate variable or scalar coordinate variable with the a
>> standard name of X to supply the threshold*(s).*It must have a
>> climatological time variable, and a cell_method entry* for within
>> days which describes the processing of quantity X before the
>> threshold is applied. A spell_length_of_days is an intensive
>> quantity in time, and the cell_methods entry for over days can be
>> any of the methods listed in Appendix E appropriate for intensive
>> quantities e.g. "maximum", "minimum" or "mean".

>> the date of freezing days using a auxiliary coordinate to specify
>> the threshold and use a cell_methods attribute along with the
>> climatology_bounds attribute on time coordinate to specify an
>> statistics over a period.

>> spell_length_of_days, but removing using 'time' as general instead
>> of days. This what I would suggest with respect to the encoding:

>> first_freeze_date:standard_name="time_when_air_temperature_below_threshold";
>> days time: minimum over days";
>> >>>>>>
>> last_freeze_date:standard_name="time_when_air_temperature_below_threshold";
>> time: maximum over days";
>> type format

>> cell_methods attribute represents the shortest time minimum daily
>> temperature (time: minimum within days) is below threshold.
>> represents the longest time (time: maximum over days).

>> haven't even considered standard names for them.

>> my first and last frost dates, since they are valid dates. My
>> files are structured as (example for first frost date):

>> over the

>> year.

>> I?ve recently been generating some datasets of ?date of first
>> frost? and ?date of last frost? and have no idea how to describe
>> them in a CF-compliant way.

>> ?days?, however this doesn?t capture what the ?something? is that
>> has happened, nor that is the first/last/Nth occurrence of that
>> event. What sort of events are you looking at?

>> ?year? runs from 1^st July to 30^th June (to span the N Hemisphere
>> winter). It?s easy enough to use the bounds to indicate this, but
>> I?m then not sure what values to store in the data array. Number
>> of days since 1^st July maybe? Or ordinal date (1^st Jan = 1,
>> 31^st Dec = 365)?

>> at e.g. length of the longest spell, number of spells greater then
>> N days etc. These seem even more complicated to describe using CF.

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>