⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Recording "day of year on which something happens"

From: Antonio S. Cofiño <antonio.cofino>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 11:23:41 +0000

Dear all,
There is no standard_name for the concept but there are 2 different ones
which delimit the approach that it could be used as templates for the
new one:
*time_when_flood_water_falls_below_threshold
*(time_when_flood_water_rises_above_threshold and
time_of_maximum_flood_depth are also good examples )
http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/41/build/cf-standard-name-table.html#time_when_flood_water_falls_below_threshold_tr

> The quantity with standard name
> *time_when_flood_water_falls_below_threshold*: is the time elapsed
> between the breaking of a levee (origin of flood water simulation) and
> the instant when the depth falls below a given threshold for the last
> time, having already risen to its maximum depth, at a given point in
> space. If a threshold is supplied, it should be specified by
> associating a coordinate variable or scalar coordinate variable with
> the data variable and giving the coordinate variable a standard name
> of flood_water_thickness. The values of the coordinate variable are
> the threshold values for the corresponding subarrays of the data
> variable. If no threshold is specified, its value is taken to be zero.
> Flood water is water that covers land which is normally not covered by
> water.
the problem is the event definition, which is quite different to the one
it's been considered here which is more like a climatological
statistics. The good thing is the CF already has some good definitions
for those climatological statistics, like Example 7.11 on CF1.6 document:
http://cfconventions.org/cf-conventions/v1.6.0/cf-conventions.html#extreme-statistics-and-spell-lengths-ex

And more convenient definition of this climatological statistics could be:
http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/41/build/cf-standard-name-table.html#spell_length_of_days_with_air_temperature_above_threshold_tr
> Air temperature is the bulk temperature of the air, not the surface
> (skin) temperature. A spell is the number of consecutive days on which
> the condition X_below|above_threshold is satisified. A variable whose
> standard name has the form
> spell_length_of_days_with_X_below|above_threshold *must have a
> coordinate variable or scalar coordinate variable with the a standard
> name of X to supply the threshold*(s).*It must have a climatological
> time variable, and a cell_method entry* for within days which
> describes the processing of quantity X before the threshold is
> applied. A spell_length_of_days is an intensive quantity in time, and
> the cell_methods entry for over days can be any of the methods listed
> in Appendix E appropriate for intensive quantities e.g. "maximum",
> "minimum" or "mean".

And this definition gives a more appropriate way to encode the date of
freezing days using a auxiliary coordinate to specify the threshold and
use a cell_methods attribute along with the climatology_bounds attribute
on time coordinate to specify an statistics over a period.

The standard_name should be more like the definition for
spell_length_of_days, but removing using 'time' as general instead of
days. This what I would suggest with respect to the encoding:

variables:
   float first_freeze_date(lat,lon);
first_freeze_date:standard_name="time_when_air_temperature_below_threshold";
     first_freeze_date:coordinates="threshold time";
     first_freeze_date:cell_methods="time: minimum within days time:
minimum over days";
     first_freeze_date:units="days";
   float last_freeze_date(lat,lon);
last_freeze_date:standard_name="time_when_air_temperature_below_threshold";
last_freeze_date:coordinates="threshold time";
last_freeze_date:cell_methods="time: minimum within days time: maximum
over days";
last_freeze_date:units="days";
   float threshold;
     threshold:standard_name="air_temperature";
     threshold:units="degC";
   double time;
     time:climatology="climatology_bounds";
     time:units="days since 2000-6-1";
   double climatology_bounds(time,nv);
data: // time coordinates translated to date/time string type format
   time="2008-01-16T00:00";
   climatology_bounds="2007-08-01T00:00", "2008-05-31T00:00";
   threshold=0.;

The time: minimum over days, on first_freeze_date cell_methods attribute
represents the shortest time minimum daily temperature (time: minimum
within days) is below threshold.
Equivalent for the last_freeze_date, but in this cas represents the
longest time (time: maximum over days).

Regards

Antonio

--