⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names request

From: Steve Emmerson <emmerson>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 15:04:01 -0700

BEGIN RANT

This is the kind of stuff that I don't like: putting additional (and
unnecessary) semantics into the unit specification. "ppm" is bad enough
(1e-6 would be better) but *volume*!

The attributes of a physical quantity are attributes of the quantity itself
-- *not* its unit. If a physical quantity is atmospheric mixing ratio by
volume, then name it as such and leave the unit alone. The alternative is
to pollute the unit namespace with "volume", "mass", "carbon", and whatever
else people think up -- leading to a unending additions to the units
database.

Call the quantity "atmospheric water vapor mixing ratio by volume" and
specify the unit as "1e-6" (or "ppm" if you must).

Lest you think I'm alone in this, see sections 7.4 and 7.5 of <
https://www.nist.gov/pml/nist-guide-si-chapter-7-rules-and-style-conventions-expressing-values-quantities
>.

END RANT

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. :-)

Regards,
Steve Emmerson