⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] additional standard name for ISMIP6

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 14:53:03 +0000

Dear Jonathan,

Many thanks for the quick reply. The following standard name is now accepted for publication and will be added to the table at the next update:

grounded_ice_sheet_area (Canonical units: m2)
' "X_area" means the horizontal area occupied by X within the grid cell. The extent of an individual grid cell is defined by the horizontal coordinates and any associated coordinate bounds or by a string valued auxiliary coordinate variable with a standard name of "region". "Grounded ice sheet" indicates where the ice sheet rests over bedrock and is thus grounded. It excludes ice-caps, glaciers and floating ice shelves.'

I will also update the existing X_area names to add the sentence about grid cell extent to their definitions. This affects the following four names: burned_area; fire_area; sea_area; sea_ice_area.

Best wishes,
Alison