⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Direct radiation standard name

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 13:13:11 +0000

Dear Henry,

Thank you for your standard name proposals. I agree with Jonathan that these names fit will with existing ones and the definitions look fine.

direct_downwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air (canonical units: W m-2)
'Downwelling radiation is radiation from above. It does not mean "net downward". "Direct" (also known as "beam") radiation is radiation that has followed a direct path from the sun and is alternatively known as "direct insolation". When thought of as being incident on a surface, a radiative flux is sometimes called "irradiance". In addition, it is identical with the quantity measured by a cosine-collector light-meter and sometimes called "vector irradiance". In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. "shortwave" means shortwave radiation.'

surface_direct_downwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air (canonical units: W m-2)
'Downwelling radiation is radiation from above. It does not mean "net downward". "Direct" (also known as "beam") radiation is radiation that has followed a direct path from the sun and is alternatively known as "direct insolation". When thought of as being incident on a surface, a radiative flux is sometimes called "irradiance". In addition, it is identical with the quantity measured by a cosine-collector light-meter and sometimes called "vector irradiance". In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics. The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "shortwave" means shortwave radiation.'

These names are accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added in the February update.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065