⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Composite area types in CMIP6 data

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 09:29:48 -0800

Hi Martin and Jonathan,

An alternative would be to (generally) allow elemental area_types to be
combined with logical not/and/or connectors. area_types are used either
as labels (stored in a variable pointed to by the coordinates attribute)
or in cell_methods. In both cases parsing combined types would be
straightforward. In your example their would only be a single
area_type coordinate, and the value of the coordinate could simply be
"pastures .and. c4_plant_functional_types" or even "pastures and
c4_plant_functional_types"

I know this appears like a significant change to the convention, but
since area_types are just strings, I suspect that software won't care
how long the strings are. I doubt if any existing software would trip
over the compound area types (except perhaps the CF checker?).

best wishes,
Karl