⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard_names for ocean biogeochemistry

From: John Dunne - NOAA Federal <john.dunne>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 15:45:00 -0500

A couple of questions...

1) Regarding the request to add Chlorophyll_a fluorescence, the proposed
unit is kg/m3, but shouldn't fluorescence have radiation units (i.e.
Watts/m2)? I was not aware that any of the proposed CMIP models treated
fluorescence explicitly, but if that were the case, it would seem like
converting to chlorophyll_a volumetric mass units would seem to me
redundant with the existing chlorophyll_a metric.

2) Regarding the request to add a variable for alkalinity in mass units to
augment the current one volumetric units, this would seem redundant for
models using the Boussinesq Assumption and thus a single reference
density. For non-Boussinesq models, one should be able to approximate this
with sea_water_potential_density (rhopoto), but I acknowledge that this
would make the global integral not exact... Are non-Boussinesq models being
planned? If so, adding alkalinity as a mass-based variable would also then
beg the question as to which tracers should be posted in both units (e.g.
DIC) - how much is the request expected to be expanded?

Cheers, John