⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for OMIP biogeochemistry and chemistry

From: John Dunne - NOAA Federal <john.dunne>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 12:59:45 -0500

Hi Alison,

Thanks for following up! Some thoughts below...

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:00 PM, <alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> published standard name table will take place on 15th November when all
> names marked as 'Accepted' will be added. Any names that are accepted
> before that date will be included in the update. Another update will take
> place in December.
>
> The numbering of the sections below refers to my previous summary:
>
> 1. The following names are now accepted for inclusion in the standard name
> table.
> > mole_concentration_of_bacteria_expressed_as_carbon_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> > mole_concentration_of_dissolved_molecular_oxygen_in_sea_water_at_saturation,
> mol m-3
> > mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_silicon_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> > tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_particulate_organic_
> matter_expressed_as_carbon_in_sea_water_due_to_grazing_of_phytoplankton,
> mol m-3 s-1
> > ocean_mass_content_of_dissolved_organic_carbon, kg m-2
> > ocean_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_expressed_as_carbon,
> kgm-2
> > mole_concentration_of_cfc11_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> > mole_concentration_of_cfc12_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> > surface_downward_mole_flux_of_cfc11, mol m-2 s-1
> > surface_downward_mole_flux_of_cfc12, mol m-2 s-1
>
> 2a. Phosporus names
> The following names are now accepted for inclusion in the standard name
> table.
> > mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_phosphorus_in_sea_water, mol
> m-3
> > tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_phosphorus_due_to_biological_production,
> mol m-2 s-1
>
> In addition, the spelling has now been corrected in all 'phosphorus' names.
>
> 2b. Definitions relating to new chemical species
> I agree with Roy's amendments to my suggested carbon13 and carbon14
> definitions. The new chemical species definitions for carbon13, carbon 14
> and sulfur_hexafluoride have been added to the appropriate names and the
> following four names are now accepted for inclusion in the standard name
> table:
> mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon13_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon14_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> mole_concentration_of_sulfur_hexafluoride_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> surface_downward_mole_flux_of_sulfur_hexafluoride, mol m-3
>
> Looking at the carbon 13 and 14 names again, I suggest a slight amendment
> to the following two proposals:
> surface_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon13_dioxide_expressed_as_
> carbon_due_to_abiotic_component
> surface_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon14_dioxide_expressed_as_
> carbon_due_to_abiotic_component.
> I think these should be, respectively, expressed_as_carbon13 and
> expressed_as_carbon14 rather than simply expressed_as_carbon. Is that
> right? Up to now we have always used the generic term 'expressed_as_carbon'
> in standard names which makes no distinction between isotopes but is that

I'm conflicted. Jim, please make sure I have this right... On the one hand
the names Alison proposes are more precise, but on the other hand my
understanding is that calling abiotic 14C "expressed_as_carbon14" is
technically incorrect by giving people the mistaken impression that the
absolute concentration should be correct when in fact modeled
14C is referenced to a 14C:12C ratio of 1.0 rather than the real world
reference (14C:12C ratio 1.17x10^-12). I thought was chosen to minimize
numerical issues. In contrast, my understanding is that the proposed 13C
tracer is in fact simulated as a true concentration such that model
delta13C should be referenced to PeeDee Belemnite (13C:12C ratio =
0.0112372)... I have not implemented 13C, so I am not sure this is right.
In any case, it seems like a clarification description would be helpful.

2c. tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_[in]organic_carbon names

> [...]
> >
> > We have a couple of existing names for tendencies of inorganic carbon
> content,
> > both of which are for dissolved_inorganic_carbon. Am I correct in
> thinking that
> > your names also refer to dissolved amounts? If so, we should include it,
> e.g.
> > tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_inorganic_carbon should be
> > tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon, and so on.
>
> John wrote:
> > These terms are intended to allow users to construct a complete carbon
> budget, and were not intended to distinguish between particulate and
> dissolved. Should we restrict > the definitions and add more terms? add
> "total" to the name before "inorganic"? Please note that the names listed
> above with "sedimentation" are incorrect. As they are
> > intended to represent loss from the ocean, they should not have
> "runoff_and". Like in Paul's spreadsheet, they should just be
> > "tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_inorganic_carbon_due_to_sedimentation"
> and "tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_organic_carbon_due_to_
> sedimentation".
> > These are effectively both "particulate" since they just represent
> pelagic sinking in current models to my knowledge, though it is possible
> that models might include insitu
> > benthic organic production and/or inorganic precipitation which could be
> represented as a dissolved loss. Of course, "sediment dissolution" would
> be just dissolved, but
> > runoff could be either particulate or dissolved... did you want to
> distinguish between them?
>
> OK, thank you for the clarification. Since you intend to include both
> particulate and dissolved carbon, the names are in fact fine (I just wanted
> to check). In CF, an unqualified term is always interpreted as a 'total'
> amount and if only a component is intended, e.g. dissolved, particulate, it
> should be included in the name.
>
> Existing sedimentation names do not specify 'particulate' but it is
> included in the definition using the following sentence: ' "Sedimentation"
> is the sinking of particulate matter to the floor of a body of water.' Is
> that adequate? If we included an additional sentence 'Some models may also
> include insitu benthic organic production and/or inorganic precipitation',
> would that be useful or would it just confuse people?
>
> You say that some of the names themselves are listed incorrectly, so again
> just to clarify, is the following correct?
> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_inorganic_carbon, mol m-2 s-1
> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_inorganic_carbon_due_to_
> runoff_and_sediment_dissolution, mol m-2 s-1
> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_inorganic_carbon_due_to_sedimentation,
> mol m-2 s-1
> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_organic_carbon_due_to_
> runoff_and_sediment_dissolution, mol m-2 s-1
> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_organic_carbon_due_to_sedimentation,

Yes.

> 2e. Limitation names
> Jonathan has suggested that we include the term 'growth' in these names,
> to which John has agreed. Also, Jonathan is suggesting the use of our well
> established "due_to" syntax for the solar irradiance names e.g.,
> growth_limitation_of_miscellaneous_phytoplankton_due_to_solar_irradiance.
> I think this is clear. So the names would then be as follows:
>
> growth_limitation_of_picophytoplankton_due_to_solar_irradiance (canonical
> units: 1)
> growth_limitation_of_calcareous_phytoplankton_due_to_solar_irradiance
> (canonical units: 1)
> growth_limitation_of_diazotrophs_due_to_solar_irradiance (canonical
> units: 1)
> growth_limitation_of_diatoms_due_to_solar_irradiance (canonical units: 1)
> growth_limitation_of_miscellaneous_phytoplankton_due_to_solar_irradiance
> (canonical units: 1)
> nitrogen_growth_limitation_of_picophytoplankton (canonical units: 1)
> nitrogen_growth_limitation_of_calcareous_phytoplankton (canonical units:
> 1)
> nitrogen_growth_limitation_of_diazotrophs (canonical units: 1)
> nitrogen_growth_limitation_of_diatoms (canonical units: 1)
> nitrogen_growth_limitation_of_miscellaneous_phytoplankton (canonical
> units: 1)
> iron_growth_limitation_of_picophytoplankton (canonical units: 1)
> iron_growth_limitation_of_calcareous_phytoplankton (canonical units: 1)
> iron_growth_limitation_of_diazotrophs (canonical units: 1)
> iron_growth_limitation_of_diatoms (canonical units: 1)
> iron_growth_limitation_of_miscellaneous_phytoplankton (canonical units: 1)
>
> OK?

OK

> John asked a question about where the definition text should go - the
> answer is that it resides in the published standard name table:
> http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/current/buil
> d/cf-standard-name-table.html (click on a name to see its definition).
> (Almost) all standard names have definitions but they don't need to be
> reproduced in the data files. Those wishing to access the information can
> obtain it from a number of sources, namely the html table, the xml version
> (which is actually the 'master' copy of standard names)
> http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/current/src/
> cf-standard-name-table.xml or the NERC vocabulary server which is
> developed and maintained by the British Oceanographic Data Centre
> http://vocab.nerc.ac.uk/collection/P07/current/.

Thanks, yes, now I understand.

> John suggested some refinements to the wording of the definitions, so
> taking these into account, my two examples would now be as follows.
>
> growth_limitation_of_miscellaneous_phytoplankton_due_to_solar_irradiance
> 'Phytoplankton are algae that live near the grow where there is sufficient
> light to support photosynthesis. "Miscellaneous phytoplankton" are all
> those phytoplankton that are not diatoms, diazotrophs, calcareous
> phytoplankton, picophytoplankton or other separately named components of
> the phytoplankton population. The specification of a physical process by
> the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term
> in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by
> omitting the phrase. "Irradiance" means the power per unit area (called
> radiative flux in other standard names), the area being normal to the
> direction of flow of the radiant energy. Solar irradiance is essential to
> the photosynthesis reaction and its presence promotes the growth of
> phytoplankton populations. "Growth limitation due to solar irradiance"
> means the ratio of the growth rate of a species population in the
> environment (where the amount of sunlight reaching a location may be
> limited) to the theoretical growth rate if there were no such limit on
> solar irradiance.'
>
> nitrogen_growth_limitation_of_diatoms
> 'Diatoms are phytoplankton with an external skeleton made of silica.
> Phytoplankton are algae that grow where there is sufficient light to
> support photosynthesis. Nitrogen is a nutrient essential to the growth of
> phytoplankton populations. "Nitrogen growth limitation" means the ratio of
> the growth rate of a species population in the environment (where there is
> a finite availability of nitrogen) to the theoretical growth rate if there
> were no such limit on nitrogen availability.'
>
> Are these OK?

Those look fine to me.

> John, Jim and Paul, if you are happy with these names and sample
> definitions then I think the limitation names can all be accepted for
> publication. I will then construct definitions for them all, consistent
> with the examples.
>
> One final note about these phytoplankton names: Roy queried whether we
> have the best classification system for the different types of
> phytoplankton, i.e. we are currently mixing size and species as ways of
> delineating sections of the population. All I can say is that this is the
> system that was first proposed for CMIP5 and is being used again in CMIP6.
> Nothing else has ever been proposed. I agree that if new categories are
> ever proposed we will need to take account of the existing names, and in
> particular we may then need to think hard about the definition of
> 'miscellaneous phytoplankton'. However, in the time honoured tradition of
> CF, I propose to defer this discussion until such time as there is a clear
> need to change what we are doing. I hope that's OK.

Fine with me.

> 2f. Natural/abiotic component names
>
> I confess that I have struggled somewhat to understand these names,
> although it's becoming gradually clearer. I do see now that we need both
> sets of names and that the "natural analogue" names are model diagnostics
> rather than forcing conditions.
>
> In John's most recent posting he suggests names and definitions of the
> form:
> mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon_natural_
> analogue_in_sea_water
> Dissolved inorganic carbon (CO3+HCO3+H2CO3) concentration natural analogue
> forced by preindustrial atmospheric xCO2
>
> mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon_abiotic_
> analogue_in_sea_water
> Dissolved inorganic carbon (CO3+HCO3+H2CO3) concentration abiotic analogue
> ignoring biological effects on carbon and alkalinity
>
> Certainly I think these names are a lot better and the terminology
> "natural analogue" and "abiotic analogue" is useful. We need to think about
> how this, or a similar, syntax will work in a standardised way with all the
> proposed natural and abiotic names. For example, how would we rewrite
> surface_mole_concentration_of_carbonate_expressed_as_carbon_
> in_sea_water_due_to_natural_component? Perhaps we could replace the
> "due_to_X" in the current proposals with "X_analogue" at the end of the
> name or we could prepend it with "X_analogue_of". This would mean that the
> new names are consistent with many existing ones and would simply contain
> an additional qualification, e.g.
> [sea_]surface_mole_concentration_of_carbonate_expressed_as_
> carbon_in_sea_water_natural_analogue
> or
> natural_analogue_of_[sea_]surface_ mole_concentration_of_carbonat
> e_expressed_as_carbon_in_sea_water.
>
> How does that sound?

I prefer:

[sea_]surface_mole_concentration_of_carbonate_natural_analogue_expressed_as_
carbon_in_sea_water

> If we can settle on a syntax, then the definitions shouldn't be too
> difficult to sort out. We'd need some explanatory words for the analogues,
> which should include some information about when these names might be used
> (for the benefit of the many CF users who will be totally unfamiliar with
> the OMIP experiments). Based on John's text I'd suggest the following:
> natural_analogue
> 'In ocean biogeochemistry models, a "natural analogue" is used to simulate
> the effect on a modelled variable of imposing preindustrial atmospheric
> carbon dioxide concentrations, even when the model as a whole may be
> subjected to varying forcings.'
> abiotic_analogue
> 'In ocean biogeochemistry models, an "abiotic analogue" is used to
> simulate the effect on a modelled variable when biological effects on ocean
> carbon concentration and alkalinity are ignored.'
>
> Based on the above, an example of a full definition would then be
> something like:
> surface_carbon_dioxide_partial_pressure_difference_between_
> sea_water_and_air_natural_analogue
> 'The surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere.
> The partial pressure of a gaseous constituent of air is the pressure which
> it alone would exert with unchanged temperature and number of moles per
> unit volume. The chemical formula for carbon dioxide is CO2. In ocean
> biogeochemistry models, a "natural analogue" is used to simulate the effect
> on a modelled variable of imposing preindustrial atmospheric carbon dioxide
> concentrations, even when the model as a whole may be subjected to varying
> forcings.'
>
> Any good?

Those look good to me.

Thanks again for all your help, John