⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] White space in CF standard names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 14:43:11 +0000

Dear Gwyn,

Many thanks for your query. You are right that there should not be any white space within a standard name and if you do find examples of this, please continue to report them to the mailing list and I will correct them as part of the regular updates to the standard name table.

There is indeed a white space in v36 of the table (both html and xml versions) in the following name:
<entry id="rate_of_ hydroxyl_radical_destruction_due_to_reaction_with_nmvoc">
Martin Juckes has also emailed me about this one and it will be corrected in the next update, scheduled for November 15th.

Regarding the alias entries where white space appears, you are correct that this has been done purely for backwards compatibility. The misspelt names were present in the table for about six months in 2008 (versions 8 ? 10) but were corrected in v11 onwards. When new data are being written, the current version of a standard name as it appears in the most recent version of the table should always be used. However, aliases are retained so that any previously written data are not suddenly invalidated due to changes such as spelling corrections.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065