⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Usage of histogram_of_X_over_Z

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 17:08:11 +0100

Dear Martin

> In broad usage, I have the impression that a "histogram" can be expressed as either a count or a percentage, so we should be explicit in the convention if we want a narrower definition here. A narrower definition is probably needed, as there would otherwise be no way of distinguishing between the two.

I agree with that but the idea is that a standard name of histogram would be
for a count, while probability would be for a fraction. The latter could be
0-1 or 0-100% - they are dimensionally equivalent but different units. We
could clarify that in the guidelines.

> There are two further CMIP variables, both or which are bi-variate distributions, with bins of spectral bands and cloud top height ranges, which I'd like to bring into the discussion, but it might be useful to transfer the conclusions of the exchange so far into a ticket first. I think the two additional variables could be covered by a simple extension to "probability_density_function_of_X_and_Y" ... though you might want to insert "joint_" at the beginning of the term.

OK, that's interesting. I agree that it would fit.