⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] additional standard name for ISMIP6

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 17:28:23 +0100

Dear Sophie and Alison

> 1. snow_land_ice_interface_temperature (K)

> 'Surface Temperature that is used to force ice sheet models. It is the temperature at the base of the snowpack models, and does not vary with seasons. Report surface temperature of ice sheet where snow thickness is zero.'

> I think the name itself is clear and that not mentioning firn (unless strictly necessary) makes the name easier to understand for non-experts as well as experts.

Sorry to be awkward, but I think this may not be entirely clear. I understand
the idea and I see why it was natural to use "firn" to mean the part of
the ice-sheet that you regard as the ice, not as overlying snow. However I
agree that "firn" is an obscure term. In fact this level is really a model
concept, isn't it, as the definition indicates. In reality there is not a clear
distinction between the snowpack and the ice, or at least not necessarily at
the level we want to name here. Could we acknowledge this by calling it
  temperature_at_top_of_ice_sheet_model
or
  temperature_at_base_of_surface_snow_model
The former would have the advantage that it would *always* apply, even if
there is no snow, and it corresponds to the first sentence of the definition
given. In the second I suggest surface_snow instead of snowpack because we
consistently use the former for snow lying on the ground in standard names.
Reference to models is not unprecedented in standard names e.g.
  net_downward_radiative_flux_at_top_of_atmosphere_model