⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for OMIP biogeochemistry and chemistry

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 16:06:00 +0100

Dear Jim

Thanks for explaining. So "natural" is the opposite of "anthropogenic", in
a restricted sense. It includes the effect of anthropogenic climate change,
but not the anthropogenic emissions of CO2. Is that right? I think this is
potentially confusing in the context of CF, which has to cover a wide range of
applications. It is not hard to imagine people wanting to use natural in the
sense of *completely* unaffected by anthropogenic influence. (Obviously I'm
not commenting on the terminology used in OMIP - I'm sure that's clear in
that context.) I wonder if for CF we could think of something more explicit.

Actually I'm unclear quite what is meant by due_to_natural_component (in
several names). Component of what? Could you explain a bit more?

Also, what does sea_water_ph_reported_on_total_scale_due_to_X mean? Is it
perhaps a *change* in pH?